Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Missed Messages from the Haitian Elections



Hear my cries, I’m hurting!
Port-au-Prince, Haiti–The Nov. 28 Haitian elections helped gain real insights into the state of the country on various levels, all inside one weekend when democracy was supposed to shine and lift the country’s morale above the debris, cholera’s death grip and ineffective governance to help the battered nation paint some vague picture of a not so distant horizon.
To no one’s surprise, Haitians are mentally fatigued from a tumultuous year that some have compared to 1804, the year of the country’s independence, characterized by rivers of blood and the smell of death. The elections offered and delicate yet legitimate channel for the people to let out their cries of discontent with current developments. Those who stayed home, apparently a great deal, were captivating with their symbolic speech: your priorities are not ours. After all, cholera has a bounty on their heads, tropical storm Thomas is somewhere laughing with mom, dad and uncle Pete’s shadows, and eviction notices keep claiming their inhabitable tents.
Others however, braved the elements for their freedom of expression: fatigued or not, their fate was the priority and necessitated a proactive stance. Amidst uncertainties, poor organization and lack of adequate leadership, they charged forward: the alternatives were unacceptable.
On the other side of the spectrum, some alternate universe was the dirty dozen plus five, salivating over the prospect of 10 billion big ones in promised aid. Surely, the people would see some of it. However, in a rare, emotional symbol, they united against INITE, the incumbent party, said to have staged a highway robbery of the presidency in broad daylight. They realized, at that point, they stood to lose it all: the elections, presidency, $10 billions and their picture in world history books. Therefore, 12 of the 18 remaining candidates sang in unison: cancel the ongoing elections.
It is unclear how much forward thinking went into the process, but the voters were emotional, angry and malleable, so they follow the leads of the entertainers rejecting business as usual in the most usual way.
The entertainers’ command revealed their mastery of their domain: Michel Martelly and disqualified candidate Wyclef know how to excite a crowd. The rest of the candidates simply followed their leads never once verifying the claims of fraud and irregularities, consulting the authorities or the international observers to validate their stance. Such actions would reflect competence clever leadership or even some diplomatic skills. Instead, these would be presidents brought the electorate on the edge of chaos and destruction protesting unverified claims, actions that would undoubtedly scared away the reluctant donors and their wallets. In fact, the UN has lately been singing such a tune through its representative Mulet: ‘I will leave you with your imported cholera, no security and no money if you do not settle down.’
Interestingly, the complete disconnect of incumbent President Rene Preval with the Haitian reality surfaced. He is a fallen hero, the only president to have successfully completed two full-term in office since the declaration of independence on January 1, 1804. Acknowledging the peoples’ obvious disapproval of his performance, he contemplated life in exile and did not like the prospect; hence, he forced his hands trying to keep his party in power through Jude Celestin, his unwed son-in-law and father of 13. Préval’s blatant disregard of the clear conflict of interest coupled with the fraudulent allegations of his party have shredded any perceived credibility he thought he had; now exile may not only be imminent, it may even be enviable.
As expected, the shortsighted consensus of the dirty dozens was short-lived. Recently the candidates have had to boogie dance to UN’s threats, the real boss, and forced to abandon their earlier cancellation rhetoric. They are learning it is not enough to be a rebel or renegade, but pragmatic leadership is a necessity.
There, at the crossroad of confusion and exhaustion, lie the desperate cries of this resilient people in search of a leader, a rupture with its tainted legacy and path to restore its dignity and sovereignty.
Rapadoo,

6 comments:

Nadève said...

I'm not sure I follow your analysis here, Rap. Are you saying the candidates should not have denounced the fraud? I don't think the candidates needed to wait for an investigation, since the fraud was out there for everyone to see: ballots trampled in the streets, polls not opening until 12, then closing 30 minutes later, people unable to find their names, boxes already overflowing with ballots when the polls opened... It was all over the news here.

Unknown said...

Always such a pleasure to have you come by and say hello, Nadege.
In this write, I was not at all questioning the validity of the claims made on election day. I'm sure, as you justifiably articulated and as the world now know, the irregularities were massive. Rather, I attempted to unveil the thought process and what it could mean. I felt it was an emotional circus and deprived of any diplomatic skills. It appeared, at least from my perspective, as if there were one or two decision makers while everyone else rode the wagon. however, I may have poorly expressed those views. Missed messages is meant to be a contextual look, a behind the scene analysis of what was not being said and voices not being heard. It was indeed pointed criticism, but nonetheless, opinions.
I have read the recent review on Danticat's book, rather quickly since finals restrict my actions. I will take a closer look after finals.
Thank you for your comment. I'm encouraged by your challenging the content.
Please, call me Christophe. :)
Chris
rapadoo.com

Nadève said...

I'll call you Christophe if you call me Nadève, since that's my name :)I look forward to you coming back to discuss the Danticat book.

About this piece, I guess I disagree that is was just an emotional circus. I think that as in any group, some people led the movement and others followed. I don't think that invalidates it. In fact, besides Martelly and Manigat, the candidates have remained united in their call to have the elections voided, so I wouldn't call the consensus short-lived. Now, we're all watching to see what happens next, of course.

Unknown said...

Nadege,
I understand your point perfectly. I guess I expect a lot more from the candidates. I feel like we're going down the same path and nothing will change. I fail to see how being popular qualifies someone for the presidency, especially at these critical stages when real leadership and pragmatism is in such high demand. Governing Haiti is not an easy task, but I'm sure you know that lol! It takes more than rhetoric and random decisions. If anything, the violence of the past few weeks revealed what section of the population some of these candidates represent and it's not pretty. As you say, we have to wait and see.
Thank you for stopping by, Nadege. I believe I have been calling you by your name; however, I think that last comment was an implicit request for me to stop calling you "Chere madame":) Point well taken.

Nadève said...

No, I just meant that you've been misspelling my name, but it's all good. :)

Unknown said...

I stand corrected Nadeve; please accept my sincere apologies. It never occurred to me that I was doing that. Hopefully you forgive. Thank you for pointing that out.
Hoping your Holidays are filled with joy and many blessing.